‘Tis the season for many things, but it is imperative we do not get so caught up in the festive busyness we forget to focus on the true reason we celebrate Christmas.
We have compiled several great options below for family advent devotions and activities to help keep our hearts and minds focused on Jesus this holiday season. Feel free to share these with friends and family.
Personal Advent Devotions:
- Good News of Great Joy — by John Piper — Good News of Great Joy: Daily Readings for Advent contains 25 short devotional readings beginning December 1 and going through Christmas Day. This book of Advent meditations aims to put Jesus at the center of your holiday season. These readings are excerpted from the works John Piper and correspond to the readings in our daily devotional Solid Joys (available for iOS and Android)
- Where the Light Shines Brightest — by the Billy Graham Center — We created this 25-day devotional to help all of us begin to imagine how our own personal reflection on the birth of Jesus Christ can inform and transform how we show and share the love of Jesus with a broken and hurting world. Each daily devotional includes a short reflection on the birth of Christ and a prayer for applying this revelation to our gospel witness in the world today.
- Advent: The Whole Story — Paul Tripp — Advent: The Whole Story as a four-part PDF devotional, complete with Reflection Questions, making it ideal for your personal or family devotions. I’ve also included a bonus devotional to help you think biblically about the New Year and the resolutions that come with it.
Family Focused Advent Devotions:
- Family Advent Guide — by LifeWay Kids Ministry — This guide is designed to help you point your family toward the Savior throughout this holiday season. Use these devotions, activities, and discussion questions as you celebrate the birth of Christ with your kids.
- Advent Guide — by the Village Church — The guide will take us on a journey from the longing of the Old Testament saints for the Messiah, to Christ’s first advent, to the longing that we now experience for His return. We will see hints and shadows of God’s promises of a Messiah, His fulfillment of those promises in His blessed Son and the promise of a future advent when Christ will return and all will be made new.
- Keeping Our Hearts Focused on Jesus — As you go about preparing for Christmas, we hope you will also join us in “Keeping Our Hearts Focused on Jesus” this Christmas season. In this ebook you’ll see daily readings to read to and with your children. We’ve also provided simple daily family activities to help us remember who and why we are celebrating Christmas!